Sunday 13 April 2014

How to Train Your memory – A CA’s perspective and Experience


Version 1.0
Introduction:

The purpose for writing this chapter is to help students get best out of their brain powers and abilities. By applying very simple techniques, the results can be unimaginable. I have experienced it myself, hence I would like to share it will all. It can help to all, not just students.
I have always been amused by the amazing powers our brain and mind has. From time to time, I have come across many such startling articles and readings which says a lot about the hidden potential of the brain and how much human brain can remember and recall. The lessons and learning are compiled in this file for the benefit of all.
     
    Process of memory and memory recall: I had come across an explanation for memory recalls and the method by which everyone of us can develop better memory slowly and gradually. Here it goes.

(a)    Commanding the brain at the start of reading session: First of all, take an example that you are reading a story book, now at the time of reading story book, you are just enjoying it and not trying to memorise it, right? At the end of the story, you will just be able to narrate it in few minutes to someone. Cool.
Now take another example, you are starting to read a story book and you are told by someone that at the end of the day when you finish with this book, there is going to be a quiz contest and the questions will be asked from the given story. Now what happens? Your alertness rises, you will command your brain while picking up the book that “look, there gonna be competition at the end of the day. I have to compete, you have to be alert and remember the things as much as you can” As a result what happens is, you gonna remember more than first case, obviously.
Lesson: We have got a lesson to learn, before starting to read something, just remind and alert you brain. “Boss, this is important thing I am doing, I need to remember as much as possible. So do your duty faithfully. Am not a fool who is feeding you all day long.” Lol. The conversation may go as you may like. Point is that you should convey to your brain what you need to.
    
    (b)   Training your mind to recall. Asking questions to the brain at the end: What I have observed from what little experiences I had during long span of studying are as follows. Sometimes, what I used to do is that I used to keep on reading for hours and hours in a day (approx. 8-10 hours). I never used to try to recall anything, (because I knew I would have forgotten most of the things and if I fail to recall,  I will loose confidence, so I never used to try to recall L, stupid isn’t it?). Ok, I thought for a while and asked myself, “is it going to work this way in long term? If I am not able to recall something at the end of the day (at least a summary of what I have learned or read), then will I be able to make through the vast portion of CA. Is this method going to work? I have got limited time and much more to study. What should I do?

Storage and Retrieval:

I searched and asked people about this. I came across a nice explanation for how human brain’s recall process works. The explanation goes like this “There are two aspects of memory, 1. Storage (Which is almost infinite for the life time) 2. Retrieval Process (which is on an average same for all but when we train it to improve, it can be improved to the extent of memory championship winner).

Recalling Process and ways to improve the recalling process:

Now let us understand the memory recall process. Whenever we try to read, understand and memorize something, let say 10,00,000 neurons of brain are working to grasp them and understand them and memorize them. Now, whenever we try to recall it, another set of neurons becomes active and tries to pull out information from storage of the brain. Now, each time we try to retrieve the information (commanding our brain to recall something), the recalling network of neurons becomes more and more active and efficient. Not only that, but also the storage neurons and cells becomes more receptive to information.
For example, what we do in business when the workload increases and becomes unmanageable by the current workforce?, we employ more people, logical, isn’t it? Now, exactly the same thing happens in brain. When we were child, we used to remember only small amount of information, and now at this level while we do higher studies trying to learn more and more day by day, we need to recall more amount of data and information than ordinary people do (many people think Chartered Accountants are superhumans, lol, but its not so). When we try to store and recall more and more information, our brain understands that the poor fellow is in need to remember so many things and we have employed only few million neurons for the process. Let’s do one thing, employ more neurons to the process and also make them more efficient. And as a result what ultimately happens is that your brain becomes more efficient and can recall better. The cells and neurons doing the job of memorizing and recalling become more and more efficient as per the needs.
Your duty is to ask the brain to recall every now and then. After every hour of study. Simple idea but great results.
      
     2.       Facing the frustration and Brain Adaptation phase:

Friends, trust me on this, I have gone through the frustration of not been able to recall a tenth of what I had studied. In continuation to above process (strengthening of recalling process), I started applying the technique of trying to recall every now and then. Many times, I tried to recall what I have studied in last hour. I used to take five minutes break and ponder upon what have I leant in whatever 6-7 pages of reading in last one hour.
What I found initially is that I used to forget almost 85% (what 15% remained was concept of what was read). I found it really frustrating initially. But, I gave it a thought calmly and told myself that “Look Rajesh, its better to face this frustration in preparation time rather than facing it in exam hall. The brain will need training and time in remembering important things and adapting itself in bunch of sizy books. After all, ICAI won’t give you this prestigious degree just for reading these stuffs of 1.5 KGs each and vomiting up in papers, lol. (I did not weighed my books, but on an average it must be weighing 1.5 KGs each)”
Phase of Adaptation: I really thank Dr. Charles Darwin for putting in efforts and give to the world ‘evolutionary theory’. He made me think that human body can adapt in any situations, any weather. Where I applied this theory was to the brain’s functioning and development. Initially, while you start studying the unending portion of CA final, you brain starts saying – “Enough, enough, please, oh god, enough for the day, I can’t resist much.” And you start feeling sleepy. Ok. And you sleep for a while. Again you will roll up your sleeves and try to read and understand many more complex things. Again after an hour or so your brain starts chattering “Oh lord, somebody tell this chap am not capable of bearing with this much tortures in a single day” and you feel like throwing your books and go and take a break. Ok. You took a break. Come again and this process is continued several number of times. Lol.
If you are a qualified CA, you must be laughing by now (or at least smiling) and if you are a student, you must have got scared from the story. But never mind, the adaptation theory works perfectly for human brains also as it does to human body. It adapts to the situations and takes the load you give it. It’s just a matter of time and the brain becomes used to it. And then the pleasant journey begins and your mind becomes your friend.

The formula for Surviving through the stage: At this stage, people always feels frustrated, however, don’t quit, its just brain’s little tricks to reason out its inability and lack of willingness. But perseverance will take you through it. Sail through this stage and victory is ensured. Give yourself little time to settle down and start practicing to recall very often.
I hope I will be able to add many more interesting things to this as and when I come across and remember. Will keep on updating the file for the benefit of others. 

Closing Remarks: This is a personal experience I have shared from my study days for the benefit of the students and all those professional fellows who can be benefited by learning the principles behind working memory. If it helps you, kindly send your feedback on my email or phone number. I would be more than happy to hear that my efforts are helping people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment